R. Scott Caulkins
Business Litigation and Franchise Attorney in Northern Virginia
Arlington business attorney R. Scott Caulkins has over 30 years of experience in complex commercial and business litigation matters, outside general counsel matters, and franchise and distribution law. As a commercial law and business litigator, Mr. Caulkins represents companies and individuals in state and federal courts and arbitration proceedings throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia in a wide range of matters including breach of contract, business torts and intellectual property disputes.
As an established Northern Virginia attorney, Mr. Caulkins is frequently called upon to serve as local counsel to out-of-state and national law firms in cases in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, often referred to as the “Rocket Docket.” He is a former President of The Northern Virginia Chapter of the Federal Association. Mr. Caulkins also represents businesses as outside general counsel on a variety of legal matters, including entity formation, purchasing and selling of businesses, preparation of contracts, resolution of disputes with vendors, commercial leasing and general employment matters.
Franchise Law has been a major part of Mr. Caulkins' practice since 1985. He represents both franchisors and franchisees in a broad range of franchise law matters, including the preparation of franchise agreements and franchise disclosure documents, and the purchase and sale of franchise businesses. He also counsels franchise companies on franchise compliance issues.
Mr. Caulkins has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America. He was selected to Virginia and Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers multiple times. He has spoken at numerous continuing legal education programs sponsored by local bar associations, the ABA, and the International Franchise Association on franchise law and business litigation topics. Mr. Caulkins has also authored articles on franchise law topics that have appeared in local and national legal publications.
- Virginia State Courts
- District of Columbia Courts
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for The District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Virginia State Bar (Past Chair and Newsletter Editor, Antitrust Franchise and Trade Regulation Section)
- District of Columbia Bar
- West Virginia Bar (inactive)
- Federal Bar Association, Northern Virginia Chapter (Past President and Board Member)
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- Arlington County Bar Association (Co-Founder and Past Chair, Business Law Section)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America