Patricia E. Bruce
Arlington Business Law and Community Associations Attorney
Arlington business law attorney Patricia E. Bruce practices primarily in the areas of business and corporate law and litigation, homeowners association and cooperative law, and franchise law in northern Virginia. Ms. Bruce serves as general counsel to small and medium-sized businesses, advising and assisting in matters ranging from entity formation and the purchase and sale of businesses and assets, to day-to-day contract preparation and review, including leases and employment agreements.
An experienced Arlington business litigation attorney, Ms. Bruce has represented companies and individuals in state and federal courts throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia in matters as diverse as breach of contract disputes, business torts, employment matters, and homeowner and condominium property condition disputes.
In the area of franchise law, Ms. Bruce has advised franchisors and franchisees on franchise compliance, franchise law and franchise litigation. She has also assisted companies preparing franchise documents and state registrations and in negotiating the purchase of franchises.
Ms. Bruce has taught several continuing legal education courses including:
- A Thin Line Between Love & Hate - Cooperative Ownership & Management, Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter, 2017 Conference
- The Virginia Consumer Protection Act: Does the Act Give Additional Remedies to Consumers?
- The Arbitration Process: From Demand to Award
- Basic Franchise Issues: Identifying and Understanding the Franchisor/Franchisee Relationship
- The “New” New Business Rule in Virginia
- Virginia State Courts
- District of Columbia Courts
- Florida State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for The District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Committee, Fourth District, Section 1, July 2006-June 2012 (Vice-Chair, July 2010-June 2011; Chair, July 2011-June 2012)
- Franchise and Trade Regulation Section, Assistant Newsletter Editor, 2003-2006
- The District of Columbia Bar
- Arlington County Bar Association, Business Law Section (Co-Chair, 2005-2006)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Housing Cooperatives